I have never made such a big cake before - 8 eggs ! this makes a really big cake - great for a special occasion. I made this cake for a work colleague's birthday morning tea and all who had a piece said it was delicious ( those who were dieting that week don't know what they missed!) I have also made a half recipe and still got a really good sized cake for my family cake tin.
Notes - thoughts:
- If you are going to make this cake regularly make up a big quantity of the coffee essence and store it - it will speed things up at the beginning of the recipe
- Chocolate covered coffee beans make a nice decoration too.
Coffee Cake2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
450 g unsalted butter
450 g caster sugar
450 g plain flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cocoa powder – plus extra to decorate
1 quantity Hummingbird Vanilla Frosting
60 g dark chocolate – grated into shavings to decorate
Coffee beans to decorate (optional)
A 25 -26cm ring mould – greased and dusted with flour
- Firstly make coffee essence by putting coffee granules and 170mls water in a small saucepan, bring to boil over medium heat. Boil until reduced by half and remove from heat and leave to cool completely. Set aside 1 tablespoon of the essence to use in the frosting.
- Preheat the oven to 170º (325ºF) Gas 3.
- In a freestanding mixer using a paddle attachment beat butter, sugar and coffee essence until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well and scraping down sides of bowl after each addition.
- Beat in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder until everything is combined and the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Pour into ring mould and smooth surface.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until sponge feels firm to touch. (Do not open the oven up until the 40 mins or the cake will sink).
- Remove from oven and leave to cool slightly before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make the Hummingbird Vanilla frosting (recipe below) incorporating the reserved tablespoon of coffee essence at end of step 1.
- When the cake is cold put on a serving plate, cover the top with frosting, dust lightly with a sprinkling of cocoa powder and decorate with the chocolate shavings and coffee beans, if using.
250 g icing sugar, sifted
80g unsalted butter
25 ml whole milk
a couple of drops of vanilla extract
- Beat icing sugar and butter together in freestanding mixer on medium slow speed until the mixture comes together.
- Turn the mixer down to slow speed and add the milk (and vanilla essence previously mixed) gradually.
- Once all the milk has been incorporated turn the mixture up to high speed.
- Beat for at least 5 minutes until fluffy and light.
Funda hanım pastanız harika görünüyor.ReplyDelete
This is such a delicious cake! I make mine without icing and add chocolate chips.ReplyDelete
However you are not supposed to share recipes from cookbooks, it's a copyright violation. Hummingbird Bakery could sue you for it, as, the content belongs to them.
Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article. baby shower cakes los angelesReplyDelete